The fuel filter’s job is to filter dirt and to prevent impurities that may be in the tank from moving towards the engine. It is often called the diesel filter for diesel cars and a petrol filter for petrol cars.
❔ How does the diesel or petrol filter work?
The filter is made from crepe paper that enables it to filter particles and water that can be in the fuel.
The presence of water in the fuel system can have serious consequences, as it can lead to clogging of the injectors.
📅 When to change the fuel filter?
It is advisable to change a diesel filter on average every 30,000 km and a petrol filter every 50,000 km.
However, if the fuel filter is clogged or defective, it will be necessary to change it as soon as possible.
It is not necessary to change the diesel or gasoline filter with every oil change. But during an oil change, the mechanic can check the fuel filter and judge whether it is necessary to change it.
🔧 How to change a fuel filter?
It is possible to change your car's fuel filter yourself if you have the appropriate tools, and have some knowledge of mechanics.
- Locate the fuel filter. It is usually on the engine block but can be more or less easily accessible. When in doubt, consult your maintenance log.
- If the type of fuel filter allows it, remove it.
- Bleed the fuel filter. To do this, place a container under the filter and open the bleed screw to let the fuel drain out.
- Once the fuel has drained, disconnect the filter from the hoses allowing the fuel to enter and exit.
- Remove the old fuel filter.
- Connect the new fuel filter.
- Clean any traces of fuel.
⚙️ Symptoms of a faulty fuel filter
If your car's diesel or gasoline filter is defective or clogged, certain signs may alert you ahead of time.
- Overconsumption of fuel
- Reduced engine performance
- Difficulty starting the car
- Engine warning light goes on
- Frequent engine jolts
- Smoke from the engine
💸 Costs for a fuel filter change
Replacing the diesel or gasoline filter costs between £25 and £100 depending on the quality of the filter chosen, as well as the hourly rate of the garage.
In addition, depending on the model of your car, the filter will be more or less accessible: the time to access and change it may vary.
To get the accurate costs for your car’s fuel filter, compare the prices on Autobutler and book an appointment online with a trusted garage in a few clicks!