TyresDo you have sufficient tyre tread for the journey you’re undertaking? If your tread is less than 3 mm, or the tyres are cracked, it’s an indication that they need to be replaced.
Shock absorbers and suspensionFor long trips, with a car full of people and luggage, you may want to get your shock absorbers and suspension checked before leaving.
Hi-visibility jacket for everyone in the carIf you’re driving abroad this summer, some EU countries require drivers to carry a hi-visibility jacket with them (EN 471 class 2), whilst other EU countries require this for all passengers. Make sure you double check this before setting off.
Warning triangleIt is mandatory in France and Germany to carry a warning triangle in your car, so check if it works. In certain countries, you must have two if you are towing a camper or trailer, and in Turkey, you must have two warning triangles regardless.
Fire extinguisherSome countries require you to carry a fire extinguisher. Among those are Turkey, Greece and Bulgaria.
First aid kitIt is also mandatory in many countries to carry a first-aid kit. Replenishing it before your journey abroad may be a legal requirement depending on where you’re going, but if nothing else could prove very useful on your travels.
StickersIf you are going into major German cities that have green zones, you must use a "Umweltplakette" (eco sticker) or " Feinstaubplakette" (particle sticker) In addition, please always remember to check before leaving, whether you need motorway stickers and environmental stickers for the countries you’re driving through.
Roadside AssistanceIn case of an emergency, it’s nice to have roadside assistance sorted before you set off, otherwise if you breakdown abroad it can result in a lot of unnecessary expenditure. You should check out:
- Whether you already have roadside assistance with your insurance
- If not - or if the arrangement only covers mechanical failure - then check the market for roadside assistance.
- Choose the package that suits you. There are basic packages that only give you roadside assistance in the UK. There are also packages that allow you to have roadside assistance all over Europe, transporting the car to the garage of your choice.
Get up to 3 quotes for service now
All about Car Servicing and Inspection
- Get your car inspected by a professional today>
- What should I expect when I take my car to be serviced?
- Why it is important to have your car serviced
- What should be included in your car’s service
- What should I do before I take my car to be serviced?
- Tips to Help Your Fuel Last Longer
- How to protect your car from the summer heat