Get 3 free quotes now Winter tyres are completely legal to use in the UK, provided that they comply with health and safety regulations. You must still have more than 2mm of tread and have your tyres inflated to the correct pressure as stated in your handbook. The complications with fitting winter tyres do not come in the legal restrictions, but rather in the policy of your particular insurance provider. Whilst most insurers do understand that winter tyres can have a positive effect on road safety in general, it does not automatically follow that their policy favours those drivers who choose to have them fitted. If you live in a remote area of the UK which is affected by adverse weather conditions during the winter months, and you think that winter tyres would be of significant benefit, then there is nothing to stop you legally having them fitted to your vehicle. Just make sure that you check with your insurance provider in case you need to inform them of the alteration that you have made. Some insurance providers will render your cover invalid if you have an accident and it is found that the vehicle was fitted with winter tyres without having informed them first. To help drivers establish whether or not they need to inform their insurance provider of the change, the Association of British Insurers (AIB) has compiled a list of those providers who do and do not require notification of the change. The list can be found on their website. If you'd like to know more information about rules for snow chains and winter tyres in all of the EU countries, visit http://ec.europa.eu/transport/road_safety/going_abroad/index_en.htm#
Get up to 3 free offers for new tyres now
All about Tyres, Tyre change, Winter Tyres and Rims
- Tyres, tyre mounting and wheel change
- New Winter Tyres and Rims
- New Rims or Replacing Your Rims
- What Are 4x4 Tyres?
- What Are Run Flat Tyres?
- Which Are the Best Car Tyre Brands?
- Watch Out with Cheap Part Worn Tyres
- Cheap Tyres Online
- Flat Tyre? - How to Change a Flat Tyre
- Tyre Types and Sizes
- Can I Have Broader Tyres on My Car?
- What is TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- Eco Friendly Tyres?
- What is Wheel Alignment
- Service for wheel alignment
- What are the Rules for Winter Tyres in the UK?
- How to Tell if Winter Tyre is OK
- Are Your Winter Tyres in Good Shape?
- Save Thousands When You Need New Winter Tyres
- Change Tyre on a Wheel, or Two Sets of Tyres?